Want to care for the planet while giving your natural beauty regime a boost? Try these clean beauty brands for your face and body…
“Why shouldn’t beauty be eco-friendly?”
One thing I love about my job is that it’s never stagnant.
There’s always something new for me to learn and create, whether that’s a trending beauty service such as Lash FX Eyelash Extensions, or my blissful new rose body massage using Natural Spa Factory’s rose massage candle.
Brands are always developing better products, as what we know about skincare and ingredients improves. Ranges grow; lashes get thicker, nails get stronger and results last longer. All of this is great for me – and for my clients.
But is beauty good for the planet?
Have you switched to clean beauty products?
More than ever before, the world is waking up to the impact we’re having on the planet. My clients don’t want their beauty products to be harmful to the earth, and neither do I.
Ethical beauty is at the heart of everything I do at Jody’s Haven. I’ve continually chosen the beauty brands that offer the best ingredients, packaging and results.
I stock UK-made cosmetics and skincare wherever I can, with a lot of research and testing going on in the background before I choose the companies I work with.
I know that the best results are derived from non-toxic, botanical, nourishing naturals.
They’re better for you, as they avoid the harmful, hormone disruptive and ageing impacts of chemically-derived ingredients.
And, they’re better for the planet, meaning we don’t have to feel guilty about spoiling ourselves!
3 ways to boost your natural beauty
Now, I’m changing my range again. This time, I’m taking the environmental impact of the products I source even more seriously. With that in mind, here’s what I’m doing for the planet at Jody’s Haven:
- Switching my skincare range to Natural Spa Factory
- Switching to Zao’s clean beauty range
- Offering refills – so you can pamper yourself at home without buying plastic
Switch #1: Natural Spa Factory
“Natural Spa Factory… only uses botanically sourced ingredients derived from nature to avoid as many nasties as possible, including parabens.”
Bath-based product house Natural Spa Factory has it all. This green, clean beauty brand is local; the ranges are cruelty free (with vegan and gender neutral options), and, while they admit that they’re not perfect, they do put a lot of thought into how they ‘source, produce, package, store and deliver’ their products.
Here’s what they do:
- Buy British where possible and cut down on unnecessary air miles.
- Use sustainably sourced, all-natural ingredients.
- Use minimal packaging, which is reusable and recyclable where possible.
- Avoid SLS, parabens, chemical preservatives and plastic microbeads – all of which affect marine life (and aren’t great for humans, either).
I just love these products. On top of being incredibly hardworking on your skin and looking beautiful in your bathroom, they’re also surprisingly affordable.
Here are a few of my favourites:
- Illuminate facial toner – clients are raving about this already! If you’re worried about visible pores or shine, I highly recommend this product, which is perfect for oily or combination skin. One client has seen a difference in just a week. Shake before using, and spritz onto your skin after cleansing. It’s vegan-friendly, too!
- Everything in the anti-ageing Gold collection – this is luxury skincare at its best, and still very affordable. Let’s use it as part of a discounted course of 6 facial treatments here at Jody’s Haven to boost and brighten your skin, nourishing it from within for longer lasting results.
- I adore the reed diffusers – they make a beautiful gift, and you only need to buy the set once. After that, you can just buy the refills – and they smell divine!
- Their clever face masks are also among my favourites. Talk about minimal packaging! Simply mix the powder with water to make a mask. There’s enough for three masks in every sachet. (Watch this video to see how they peel away – so satisfying!).
- I’ve also developed a heavenly treatment around their stunning rose massage candle, to leave you feeling nourished, relaxed and replenished – with the softest skin that smells divine.
Don’t forget to take a look at the range when you’re here – you can buy everything you need through me and take it away with you on the same day. That way, you can continue your clean skincare routine at home!
Switch #2: ZAO
“ZAO makeup is as powerful and sensory as conventional makeup, while respecting the environment and your health.”
Founded in France with a site in the UK, ZAO products are based around bamboo – a hero of the sustainable scene. Bamboo can be found outside and inside – forming both the luxury-feeling refillable packaging and adding its skin-friendly properties to the formulas.
Here’s what they do:
- Natural and organic – ZAO makeup is 100% natural and certified organic by Ecocert, but they haven’t compromised on quality to deliver these credentials.
- Vegan – choosing vegan skincare is a great way to ensure that you’re getting truly cruelty free makeup. ZAO’s makeup brushes are also made from synthetic, rather than animal bristles.
- Refillable – pioneering packaging really sets this clean beauty brand apart. The sleek refillable designs are great for the planet, and the refills make ZAO even more pocket-friendly, too.
There’s something so tactile about these bamboo-encased products – they feel and work like a luxury brand but they’re ethical and affordable. Win-win!
Here are a few of my favourites:
- Compact powder – velvety to apply, use this pressed mineral powder to minimise shine and give you great coverage throughout the day.
- Kind nail polish and nail polish remover – free from the harmful ingredients usually found in these products, ZAO’s formulas are healthy and strengthening for nails. I love the up-to-date colour range.
- It’s difficult to find liquid foundation – never mind BB cream – in eco-friendly packaging. Just another reason why I’m so pleased I get to share this range with you!
- The matt, cream and pearly eyeshadows are beautifully soft and great for blending. Plus, they have an added benefit – when you want to change colours, you already have the compact, so all you need is the refill!
- Finally, I have to mention the mascaras, which provide volume while also caring for your lashes and being gentle for sensitive eyes.
Not sure which products and colours to choose? Book a makeup lesson with me. You’ll learn about your skin tone, and how to choose foundations and mineral powders that suit you perfectly.
We’ll also have a play with colour – choosing the eyes, lips and cheeks that bring out your personality and highlight your best features.
Extra bonus: get 10% off any ZAO makeup products you buy during the session with me!
Switch #3: Refills
Lastly, I want to tell you about the refills I’m offering at Jody’s Haven. These are a great way to cut right back on packaging for a beautifully guilt-free shopping experience.
Once they’re empty, bring your old products bottles back to me for a refill on a range of products including Natural Spa Factory shampoo and conditioner.
Remember, you can refill ZAO makeup – even your mascara – to make buying makeup clean, green and even more affordable.
Want help cleaning up your beauty regime?
I regularly update my range of skincare and makeup products in an effort to be as natural, low-waste and plastic free as possible. When you buy through Jody’s Haven, you often benefit from exclusive promotions and discounts, too!
Contact me on my website, or give me a call to discuss your needs.